‘Communications’ are among the top employability skills.
Ten tips for effective communications coming up:
- Tone of voice = the personality of the organisation or writer should come through
- House style = the organisation’s dress code
- Grammar = final touches, grooming and social skills
- Use active language – ‘fill in the form’, not ‘the form should be filled in’
- Focus on the outcome, talk about the future and say it with confidence.
- Get to the point first then back it up with the facts, figures and stats
- Use more verbs – ‘we’ll discuss it’, not ‘we’ll have a discussion’
- Use plain English – ‘buy a house’, not ‘purchase a property’
- Does the way you write and speak reflect your personal and company Values?
- Say ‘you’ and ‘we’ to engage interest.
and as it’s just us, here’s one more:
- It’s fine to use conversational contractions – it’s how we speak.